There’s something irresistible about the zest of a lemon in your drinks, especially in the hot days of summer. Even plain tap water tastes a whole lot better with some lemon juice squeezed in. And then, of course, there are the classic summer refreshers such as lemonade, iced tea with lemon or even beer with a lemon. But there are many other drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, that go better with a bit of lemon. Here’s a sampling.
- Gimlet. A classic gimlet calls for gin and lime, but swap the lime out for a lemon and you’ve got a mellower, more fragrant cocktail. To make a gimlet, add ice to a cocktail shaker and then combine 2 ounces of gin, an ounce of freshly squeezed lemon juice and half an ounce of equal parts sugar dissolved in hot water. Shake well and strain into a glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish the gimlet with a lemon wheel.
- Lemon Kamikazi. Here’s another drink that typically uses lime in a shooter but can be turned into a cocktail with lemon. To make a lemon kamikaze, mix 1-1/2 ounce vodka, 1-1/2 ounce Triple Sec, and ¾ ounce lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a shaker with plenty of crushed ice. Strain it into a glass and enjoy.
- Fuzzy Lemon Fizz. You might not expect the combination of peach nectar and lemon juice to be a winner, but it is! To make this non-alcoholic drink, combine 6 ounces of peach nectar with 4 ounces of lemon juice. Pour it over ice in a Collins glass and garnish it with a twist of lemon.
- Lemon Cocktail. With this non-alcoholic drink, you are sure to get your day’s serving of Vitamin C. Combine 2 ounces of orange juice with 6 ounces of lemon juice and pour it into a mixing glass filled with ice. Strain the mixture into a cocktail glass to serve.
- Lemonade Golden. Eggs and lemon may seem like an odd combination, but you are sure to love it in this “golden” drink. Combine 1-1/2 ounce lemon juice, 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon sugar syrup and 4 ounces of soda water. Shake the lemon juice, egg yolk and sugar syrup over ice cubes in a shaker. Strain the mixture into a large highball glass over ice cubes, and carefully fill the glass with soda water.
- Lemouroudji. For a zesty drink, juice 1 pound of lemons. Then peel and grate 2 medium-sized pieces of ginger. Place the grated ginger into a piece of cheesecloth and add a liberal dash of cayenne pepper to it. Tie the cheesecloth into a knot and let it soak in 1 gallon of water. After about 15 minutes, add 1 cup of sugar and the lemon juice into the water. Chill the mixture and serve.
- Lemon Drop Martini. Combine 1-1/2 ounce lemon vodka, 1-1/2 ounce limoncello lemon liqueur, 2 ounces sweet and sour mix, 1-1/2 ounces lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a cocktail shaker that is half-filled with ice cubes. Shake well. Swirl half a lemon around the rim of a margarita glass and dip the glass in sugar. Pour the alcohol mixture from the shaker into a glass and serve!