The New Year means new cocktails, so it’s the perfect time to mix up your ordinary drink routine! Now is the time to kick up your mixology game with these cocktail trends for 2016.
To keep up-to-speed and on-trend with the ever-changing cocktail scene, Hornitos Tequila has pulled together a few key tips and recipes that are sure to be a hit in 2016. Whether you are looking for unique spirits or a well-made cocktail, Hornitos offers everything you need to kick off 2016 while staying on top of the latest trends.
- Classic Comeback – bartenders and consumers will take a minimalist approach by preparing simple drinks that pay homage to the classic cocktail era and celebrate the base spirit. You can try the Hornitos Black Barrel Manhattan or Tequila Sour for a new tequila twist on old favorites which highlight the tequila’s “whiskey-like” characteristics.
Hornitos Black Barrel Manhattan:
– 2 Parts Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila
– ½ Part Amaro
– 1 Part Simple Syrup
– 2 Dashes Orange Bitters
– Orange Peel (burnt)
– Maraschino Cherry
Preparation: Stir all ingredients with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a burnt orange peel and maraschino cherry.
– 1 ¼ Parts Hornitos® Black Barrel® Tequila
– ¼ Part Agave
– ½ Part Lemon Juice
– Lemon Wedge
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake vigorously and strain over fresh ice. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Spice it Up – is it getting hot in here? No wait, that’s just your drink. Spicy drinks and bold flavor combinations will continue to grow in popularity throughout 2016 with bartenders using cinnamon, natural spices and jalapeno to add a little spice to your sip. If you’re a fan of the latest trend, heat things up with Hornitos Tequila’s Muy Caliente or try Hornitos Spiced Honey which features natural honey flavor and a special spice blend, creating a “sweet meets heat” profile.
– 2 Parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
– ½ Part Lime Juice
– ¾ Part Simple Syrup
Preparation: Muddle one jalapeño slice in a glass, combine remainder of ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake vigorously and strain into the glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a jalapeño slice.
- Tiki Time – the retro, modern tiki bar trend has made its way back into the mainstream and ushered a craving for tropical cocktails. Hornitos’ Watermelon Paloma or Triunfante will be sure to put you in the island mindset as we look ahead to the warmer months.
– 2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
– 1 part Watermelon Juice
– ¾ Part Agave
– ¾ Part Lime
– 1 Part Seltzer
– Handful Cilantro
– Watermelon Wedge
– Paprika Sea Salt
Preparation: Add all ingredients into a mixing glass, excluding seltzer. Shake well for approximately 5 seconds. Add seltzer and double strain into a Collins glass. Garnish with a watermelon wedge and rim the glass with paprika sea salt.
– 2 Parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
– ½ Part Agave
– 1 Part Lime Juice
– 2 Parts Coconut Water
– 3 Dashes Angostura® Bitters
– Lime Peel
Preparation: Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice, shake vigorously and strain over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime peel.
- Photogenic Cocktails – if you didn’t post it, did it really happen? Bartenders and restaurant owners unanimously responded to the trend of consumers posting pictures of their drinks with “Instagram-worthy” garnishes. Next time you go to mix up a camera-friendly cocktail, try Hornitos’ Red Head – it’s good enough to Tweet!